Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lesson 1: The Meaning of Life

When I was a child, I had to follow the rules, but no one explained why.
I was forced to go to church, but they never told me who the man on the cross was. 

As I grew older, I was expected to behave a certain way so I could integrate into society, but I never felt like I belonged.
I was "different" because I didn’t share their philosophy or understood their way of life. To their eyes, I was a rebel without a cause.

Deep inside, I knew that there had to be more to life than material things and trivial relationships so I started to search for what I was missing.

I discovered a different God; one that was kind and didn’t collect a tithe in exchange for my redemption. I was able to open my heart because he loved me for who I was and didn’t label my faith. He became a friend, a mentor, and a guide. He gave me freedom so I could learn from my mistakes. He showed me how to cultivate my mind, body, and soul with things money can’t buy. I learned why it’s better to teach someone how to fish instead of feeding them, and I finally understood what unconditional love truly meant.

I searched within to figure out who I was, who I want to be, and what I need to do to transform. I still have a long way to go, plenty to learn, and dreams to accomplish so I don’t know how long this journey will last. Yet, I am certain that wherever this road takes me, it’s where I am meant to be.

I realized that life is what you make of it, and happiness is something you constantly need to work on. It’s not a destiny you arrive at or something you can grasp and keep. The search for happiness is what keeps you going, what gives you hope, strength, and allows you to dream. That is why, just like a state of mind, it comes and goes.

Indeed, life is NOT a fairy tale and there is no such thing as “happily ever after”. Therefore, in order to thrive, finding fulfillment should be your ultimate goal. Experiencing a meaningful existence will allow you to enjoy the good, deal with the bad, and even treasure the unimportant.

Surround yourself with things and people that bring you joy and start your own journey to discover your purpose in life.

Follow your destiny, fight for what your heart desires, and dare to dream!!!
 
 
By Gaby Fischer

No comments:

Post a Comment